The Long Term Care Ombudsman program was created to help address the quality of care and quality of life experienced by residents who reside in licensed long term care facilities such as nursing homes, homes for the aged, and adult foster care facilities. The Long Term Care Ombudsman program is available toll free at 1-866-485-9393 for concerned relatives to investigate complaints, suggest remedies, and assist with resident rights, payments, issues, guardianship, and nursing home placement.
Residents and families may receive information, learn how to resolve problems or begin the complaint process for concerns in licensed nursing homes, homes for the aged, and adult foster care homes. Your local Ombudsman works with individual residents to resolve problems and promote high quality care. They provide a community presence by routinely visiting residents of long term care facilities.
When to Call an Ombudsman
Call your Ombudsman:
- When you have unresolved questions or concerns about care in a facility.
- When you have questions about your rights in a long term care facility.
- When you have questions on alternatives to nursing home care.
- When you want to learn more about best practices and creative solutions to problems in long term care settings.
- When you are shopping for long term care services.
- When you have questions or need technical expertise on long term care issues.
- When you want to schedule a presentation on issues related to long term care.